Jessica Kane @ lifeandstyleofjessica.com - OOTD

shaking the funk
 
My usual end of Portland Fashion Week funk has been in full swing for a month now (and the I'm growing my hair out and have no idea what the hell to do with it funk!!!). After spending months in the trenches with my volunteer family working every second to make a quarter million dollar fashion week happen, it's such a shock to the system when it's all done and your calendar comes to a halt! Someone yanked out my IV and I need it back! LOL Luckily, I have been able to fill up my off season by partnering with Meagan Hope to launch our female marketing agency 1010 Park and have been blessed to be working with some great clients including Spanky's Consignment, Pure Barre Vancouver Wa and Fossil Cartel.

However, after spending too much time in my comfies and needing some good photos for my site - it was time to dust off the camera setup and put together a cute outfit! I tell you what, some great pictures can really do wonders for the soul sometimes, plus a great skirt doesn't hurt either.

I picked up this skirt a while back at my local Lane Bryant Outlet paying only $19.99 for a skirt I almost purchased probably 50 times. I never was sold though as I couldn't visualize it on my body and I'm always wary of skirts that are shorter - but at 19 dollars - I couldn't resist and didn't even try it on! In fact, the first time I wore it was 10 minutes before this photo - definitely a delightful surprise.
Finished off the look with recent gifts from Lane Bryant and frequent stars from my instagram feed (links below).

Definitely a funk killing outfit and look forward to more dressing up. Go get dressed up and take a pic! Share with me via Instagram and tag me @jessica_kane.

xx Jessica

Been growing out my hair for what feels like 7 years and this is where I'm at. 


 
 



 
 

Shop Plus Size Distressed Denim


 



This blazer was quite the surprise as I've been on the hunt for EVERRR. I'm very particular and even this one I only like with the arms pushed up or else I feel like I'm in a doctor coat. Paired with a fab pair of distressed boyfriend jeans, you can't go wrong.

Link for Jacket > Jacket  I'm wearing a size 24 and it's already oversized, so don't buy it too large.


 
My Lane
It has been a crazy busy last few weeks and thank goodness we can keep in touch via facebook and instagram! This day I had a meeting with my TV partner KOIN TV for Portland Fashion Week and luckily Lane Bryant saved the day - because I barely have time to shower let alone deal with the vortex that is my laundry. Did I mention my 6yo started Kindergarten and I had to adjust my entire schedule around his NEW one RIGHT before PFW? #LordbabyJesus

Well, the beautifully wrapped box that contained this outfit made me look quite polished to meet the execs - thankfully! Plus, got to take my
new shoes around the block - obsessed. I have to point out these pants because you can NOT underestimate a good pair of slacks and in my world perfect equals fabric that won't look wrinkled, center creasing down the leg (looks so freaking polished IF the pant is a slim leg pant) and perfect length to still show off my shoes. These pants fit that bill, and they have the tighter tummy technology which I can't say I've ever paid any attention to - but in these slacks, I like. My bottom belly doesn't feel all squished and weird and for those with that problem, these pants are great! I was surprised they fit honestly as they are a 26 and with the month of stress eating I had NO clue what size I really was! LOL

Did I mention I hate my hair lately? I have held out for SOOOO long, trying to grow it, have made it light and dark - both to save me from chopping it off - and meanwhile - I just feel I have no MOJO. :| I just feel so ordinary blah. And, can't seem to style my hair to save my soul, I swear - I used to be so good at hair! WHAT HAPPENED??!! GAH. Don't be surprised if you see me with something dramatic soon, I feel it coming. o_O

Until then :) xo Jess
 


   
Animal Maxi  
by Jessica Kane Friday, August 22, 2014
 
Nothing beats a good maxi dress on a hot day where the last thing you want to wear is shapewear and anything extra on your body! When Marisota, the sister site of Simply Be, asked me if I'd try out some of their items, of course, I'm always down so I can report to you my experience. So, I picked out this maxi from their site which is a Simply Be brand item. It does come with spaghetti straps, but I found them too far in the center and honestly pointless as I'm one who loves a strapless top. With my Cacique strapless bra (which I have in white/nude/black of course) I was supported all night long. 

 
Loved this dress as it is really light weight and the fabric isn't clingy at all - almost a tad crunchy, for a lack of a better word - which I really like because it didn't stick to me as I literally sweat ONE MILLION GALLONS of sweat this night. Seriously. Not even joking. The length was perfect for me, but would definitely be too long for anyone shorter - I'm 5'8". 

 
This dress is a definite and being super picky about my animal print, I rather love this one. Thank you Marisota!

 



 

 

 
Taken Care Of Business
by Jessica Kane   Thursday, August 21, 2014
 

While I work extremely hard to keep all balls floating seemlessly in the air, you know with site tours (at Pioneer Square this day) and crazy work weeks for Portland Fashion Week, errands and favors for my husband, groceries and car washes, karate on Tues and Thurs for little man (this was a Tuesday), swimming on Monday, team meetings on Wed nights -- well, a midst all of this, I can say that dressing up nice CAN make my day go smoother. I feel more confident, I walk a bit taller and I face my problems a bit stronger. Not that gold plated shoes and Chanel inspired jackets will make all my problems and stress disappear, but it sure does help to look in the mirror and feel good. 


First up - site tour at the location for fall Portland Fashion Week... 

My crew :) 




Then - pick up the kiddo for karate practice... hiyah!




And since I always forget pictures, I take them at the end and my little man has discovered the calculator. LOL  That's a day in my life :)

Skirt Torrid | Top c/o Lane Bryant Lane Collection | Shoes c/o Torrid | Jacket Lane Bryant
 
 
My NYC Trip
by Jessica Kane Thursday, August 14, 2014
 
My brain is still in vertigo from my recent trip to NYC and no more than 4 days later I'm on a plane headed to the hottest place on earth - PHOENIX to visit my Grandma who is in the hospital. I'm so glad I was able to come out to see her and my family here, but everyone's nerves are SHOT and I'm thinking of dispensing Zoloft by the bottle. No really.

I'm sitting her in the Best Western Inn & Suites in Sun City Arizona (so appropriate) battling non-connecting wifi, 119 degree heat, emotional family, tired and bored 4yo (yes have Kyle with me) and having no car. I swear, this trip has definitely knocked everything out of me that NYC didn't accomplish. The only thing keeping me half sane was we got upgraded to a suite after the desk clerk took pity on us when we walked in ready to puke all over him from heat exhaustion (don't get me started on that story -short version - in a van without AC for 1.5hrs in rush hour on Friday night when 119 out = aka 135 in back of van where I was).

Here are some fun snaps taken by blogger love Kelly Brown of MASQUE MAG...and I was actually wearing my favorite SWAK Item - the pretty cami! LOL It really is my favorite go to for being cute and comfortable - no better top to throw on with a great necklace. I did buy the 3X by accident and it's too big around arms, but with a black bra - it was ok. So if a 22/24 on top - go with the 2X.

 
 
I booted up my laptop and wanted desperately to knock out a recap post from NYC, but this is all I can muster babes, you're going to get it piece by piece *laughing*.

 


 

{above} With my roommate and Aussie model Sam Morris!

 

 

{above} With Sam and Margie of Margie Plus
 

Top SWAK DESIGNS Pretty Cami

Shorts & Bag c/o Torrid
Shoes Lane Bryant
Necklace Forever21 (old)
 
Can't wait to have my brain on straight to tell you the rest of my journey in NYC!
MUCH LOVE
Jess
 
 
 
 
Easy Breezy
by Jessica Kane Friday, August 08, 2014
 
Hey there my loves!
It's been entirely too long since I popped in, I'm so sorry, but I do update all the time on my instagram, so be sure to hang out with me there.

I recently was approached by Yours Clothing, someone actually I'd been wanting to try, but being on the larger end of "plus" I'm terrified of the UK companies that convert to US sizing. I'm not sure why as all previous experiences have yielded great experiences (SimplyBe, Asos clothes - not shoes - that's another story). So, they offered to let me try out some items and I was eager to share my experience with you.

I am so so happy to report how great Yours Clothing is. I was instantly struck by the quality - maybe I'm just getting used to lower quality from US clothing? But, not one thing was cheap or skimped, the best. Then, the sizing - spot on - in fact I ordered a size up on these pants here and shouldn't have! They fit and work -but would love one size down so a big more fitted, either way - so so happy. And, another thing about the sizing...being a girl with a large hips and behind who wants a "flowy" top -it's been MURDER. I order like 2 sizes up but then the arm wholes are out of control - so I wear a cami under, but them I'm hot because I'm in layers, just the entire thing - never fun. This top here WAS PERFECT! I ordered 1 size up and as you can see, plenty of room and dang, probably didn't need to order a size up???
Finally - pricing - absolutely INSANE - these pants are only $33, in the states we expect to pay easy $50 for the quality you get. This top, just $22.50. #wow

So needless to say, I'm so so thankful you contacted me Yours Clothing and to show my readers the rest of the outfits. Here are some pics of this top and these pants.

Final review? BIG GIRL APPROVED.


 
 
 
Soft Pants

















Is it really the 3rd already?!!~ Yikes, so sorry took me so long to post my New Year's Eve outfit! So, the red top......my everything!  (from SimplyBe.com)  The most amazing red top I've ever worn. You know I love my red and lately I've been cheating on red with tangerine and purple and such, but it called me and I had to have it. Why is this top so special? The ruffles, they are everything. It didn't look too special online, but when I put it on, Oh. My. God. I could wear it everywhere!

This top also solidified why I talk about fashion to empower women to feel confident. Honestly, after I had this outfit on (and right now as I type I'm wearing my sweats and hair in a pony, so I don't know WHO this girl is that I'm talking about - LOL)....I felt like a million dollars, like the prettiest girl in the world, and glowed with confidence. I feel there's NOTHING sexier than a confident woman...and I just want YOU to feel like I did on NYE.

THIS is why we are doing our dress up challenge starting Monday!!! YES, you + me baby.









TOP c/o Simply Be - No longer in stock. *super sad face! I LOVE THIS TOP*
NECKLACE c/o Fashion to Figure - No longer in stock.
TIGHTS We Love Colors - Plus Size in Black - Get them here.
SHOES Dexter Wedges from Payless - Size 11W
BRACELETS Torrid Bracelet Pack
 
 
 
Every Women Loves To Play Dress Up Sometimes
by Jessica Kane Wednesday, August 29, 2012


 




Leopard Dress Lane Bryant 
White Top Avenue // similar white top here
 
 
 
Glamorous
by Jessica Kane   May 30, 2012
 
Oh my gosh it's been so hard this last month to do some outfit posts! I'm now 45 days into my healthy lifestyle change (not a diet, but I guess you could call it that) where my typical day has been lacking in the style department.
 
Glamorous right?! :D
After venting to my bestie Mandy about what the hell to do, she suggested that I keep it real and show the real me that isn't out clothes shopping right this moment and show how I re-work items in my wardrobe for the occasions I need to get gussied up (like the last post).

Of course she's a genius and I decided to rework one of my blog's all time top post items - the Simply Be Purple cardigan. I love love love Simply Be and more love their sizes are TRUE to size and I can know I'm going to fit. I wanted to show a new way to wear it and with the summery nights coming on, you can wear the long sleeved pieces by just rolling up the sleeves and wearing less layers. I opted for no undershirt and just belted the cardi like a wrap top. So, I took this gorgeous piece from day to night! 


 
Here's how I wore it last time ... full post here.




My tips to take an outfit from day to night:

  • Shoes - something shiny, strapy, heel, sparkles.
  • Earrings - more dramatic earring can spice up an outfit in an instant. These long stone ones with the yellow really pop off the purple cardi.
  • Hair - take it up, styled with some teasing and maybe hair band.
  • Makeup - First, more bronzer ;) And, I like dark lips and winged eye-liner OR dark smokey eyes and nude lips.
  • Pants - Leave the jeans at home, you need a bold white/colored pant or slack.
  • My fav tip - show your shape! ;) I prefer Vneck to show some cleavage and using a belt to show off my waist.




Earrings c/o IGIGI black ones here // Cardi c/o Simply Be // Pants Jessica London // Shoes c/o Torrid *buy size down* here // Belt 10 years old :)
 
 
Just Jess
by Jessica Kane   Thursday, December 29, 2011
 
First, how is it Thursday, like almost the New Year??
Honestly, time is going by WAY too quick!! Thank goodness I have a little home studio for shooting outfits, makes posts so much faster! I went to my client, Sheraton Portland Hotel, to meet with my liquor sponsor for the NYE party, and I needed to look a bit effortlessly chic. Didn't want to look like I was trying too hard - LOL. And, this top was IT.

I've been on the search for a simple, but detailed white sheer top forever now! Something that felt and looked luxe, but without the price. I finally found two tops that I loved, this is one - from Simply Be, it was only $27 (and of course out of stock now)!!!!!! I swear it's utter perfection. It has this detailing in the fabric that is so gorgeous and the sleeve detail is so perfect. I love how I can wear with and without a belt, and go casual or dressy with it.

Of course I wore my favorite jeggings of ALL time, the Svoboda 360 Stretch Five Pocket Skinny Jean in Blue Stone (still need to get the review up! sorry).

I swear, this is one of my favorite outfits ever!! And, remember my favorite boots, the Cognac LULU from Torrid? Well, they sent me the black pair TOO!! *dying* BEST BOOT EVER for a 20" calf.
K, well I'm off to finish planning and printing for the NYE event....of which I get to work. :( No fun plans this year, that's kind of the downside to marketing, you usually have to WORK the event, instead of enjoy it. What are you planning?? I'd love to live vicariously through you!








 

TOP c/o Simply Be (it's sold out * sorry *)
PANTS c/o 
Svoboda 360 Stretch Five Pocket Skinny Jean in Blue Stone Size 26
BOOTS c/o Torrid Black Lulu Size 11

 
 



 
 
Take THAT Size 24 Jegging! XO My Size 26 Booty

 

Jeggings - Old Navy Plus, Top - Curvy Girl Clothing circa 2009, Shoes - Payless, Necklace - Hubby Gift, so not sure.
 
 

Comfy Party Chic
 


THE shoes :)

THE Ring And THE Drinks :)
 
THE Clutch....



THE elevator...
 
Outfit Deets:
Top - Lane Bryant size 26/28 (I wanted it longer like a tunic)
Pants - Old Navy Jeggings size 26
Shoes - Target - Size 11
Wristlet - Payless
Belt - Lane Bryant
Big Floral Ring - Lia Sophia size 11
 

Pretties, Pop And Pritchett
by Jessica Kane  Friday, September 24, 2010 
 



Outfit Deets:
Shrug - vintage torrid size 2
Tank - Merona for Target  size 24
Necklace - kicklett kreation, handmade in portland or
Handbag - Liz Claiborne at ROSS
Belt - curvy girl clothing
Pants - Old Navy Stretch Jegging size 26
Shoes - Jessica Pritchett http://www.jessicapritchett.com/